Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day 36: Horace Silver "Song For My Father" and Herbert Rehbein and his Orchestra The Complete LP Collection

Rudy van Gelder and another curio show up today. I really have no idea what to expect from the Herbert Herhbein. I'm intrigued to see if my new understanding that I really like Hard Bop will hold up.

Ping, by the way, finally (well, 'finally'...I've had iTunes 10 for less than a month...) does what I thought it did, so you can follow the project through there. I guess, by the way, I'm going to handle the Ping thing (ha!) by just taking any signifigent quote I make about a specific track and posting it to Ping. And of course, since everything on the net is in someway Google's, there is a Picasa page of all the album covers. I'm not really sure who any of that is for, but I am providing as many ways to not be followed as I can, I guess. The album cover collection now also plays from the Picasa on the side bar.

The other CD is a double, so really I should just get to it.

Horace Silver
Song For My Father

It really is appearing as if the Blue Note rep, whoever he was, was very generous. And really, without much need. This is another one of the Rudy van Gelder re-issues. Thing is that it's Blue Note, really the jazz label. I was going to carry these CDs or it wasn't really going to be a jazz section. In fact, I don't know that I really even had a say in the matter. Most of these might have been ordered as part of the overall order from the distributor and thus handled by the store's main buyer.

But I still got a boat load of Blue Note CDs. It didn't occur to me to keep track, but a clear majority of the jazz CDs that have gone in so far have been Blue Note CDs. I mean, obviously that's going to at least in part be a product of how dominant a label Blue Note is for jazz, but also that whoever handled their distribution for the store was incredible generous with the CDs anyway.

I'm not complaining, I have a lot of those 'must have, essential' jazz recordings because of that. And I'm apparently pretty blase´about it. Most of them aren't even opened, including this one.

Which brings me to the other, non-musical and yet weird part about it.

The credit card application. The CD came with a credit card application. Fell out when I opened the CD. This actually happened a lot, little offers of some sort or another would be included in the CD. I never really took much notice of them before. Usually they were offers to join some sort of mailing list or whatnot regarding the label, but I was a buyer, I was already in the loop. So I never really paid attention to them. This was late nineties.

But post-credit crisis, this suddenly stands out to me. A credit card offer in my CD? It is a Blue Note credit card, at least. I guess...apparently you get 'jazz insider' benefits that allow you to collect points to get Blue Note stuff and to select your own compilation that will list you as 'producer.' This act, apparently, makes you a 'jazz insider.'

I actually have no idea what the terms for credit cards are these days. This one is 3.9% for the first six months and then 9.99%, unless you miss two payments, then it's 19.99%...unless they're consecutive in which case it's 22.99%.

Really attached to that .99% thing.

There's a weird note to Wisconsin residents-
No provision of any marital property agreement, unilateral statement or court decree adversely affects the rights of First USA, unless a copy of each agreement, statement or court order is furnished to First USA, prior to the time credit is granted, or First USA has actual knowledge of the adverse obligation. All obligations on this account will be incurred in the interest of my marriage or family. I understand that First USA may be required to give notice of this account to my spouse.
 I don't understand any of that. Well, except that apparently First USA might have to tell your spouse that you have the card.

Oh yeah, and there's a CD in here as well. Which is pretty awesome. I'm pretty sure I played the title track in jazz camp.

That's right. I went to jazz camp. As far as I know nothing untoward happened with anyone's instruments, flute or otherwise. Mostly it's where I discovered my laziness towards the new need to shave. I came home both years fuzzy. And one year a much better sounding saxophonist thanks to an instructor who hated my guts.

Horace Silver's Lonely Woman is a little more solemn and less...wailing? than Ornette Coleman's, which is a song I futiley try and hum now and then. Not that this piano trio Lonely Woman is easy to hum. But it is, obviously, more conventional.

This album has two contenders for awesome song name. The first is this groovin' number playing right now, Sanctimonious Sam and the other is the one that closes the album out, Silver Treads Among My Soul.

Herbert Rehbein
The Complete LP Collection
This is going to be a little rough. Listening to 'easy listening' music intently during normal circumstances is a bit of a sleep aide, but to do it while you're tired is something else. I'm up early to watch the Petite Le Mans from Road Atlanta  and I was up late trying unsuccessfully trying to customize the theme of the blog (short story, their advice on how big the photo has to be to complete the background is a filthy lie...)

My initial strategy to find something to say about this CD was to try and link it to the Bert Kaempfret CD, but apparently I don't have to work all that hard on it. The rather anemic liner notes tell me that aside from Rehbein's apparent 'signature' string sound, he was a long time composing partner to Bert. So it's not just that I somehow tapped a vein of German based easy listening orchestras, it's entirely possible that these albums were released together and I got the promos at the same time.

While Kaempfret's CD was surprisingly jazzy, this one is not at all.  This shouldn't be a surprise after a glance at the original liner notes to all three albums. Here are the first lines of each:

"It has been aptly said that "Music has charms that soothe the savage..." It has even been stated that this phenomenon actually works." -Music To Soothe That Tiger

"The mood is romantic...the songs are haunting, nostalgic, the language of love...the artist, a musical sorcerer named Herbert Rehbein." -Love After Midnight

"The days, we spend in doing...the nights, in dreaming.
The mood may be serene, or bittersweet with memory...a love a reality, or an unfulfilled longing...a moment shared, or spent in solitude. But whatever the time or the setting, the songs dedicated to love hear in this album fully express the thoughts and emotions of lovers everywhere." -...And So To Bed

In the same way that blues liner notes have to sell the artist as a hardboiled voodoo priest of pain and heartache the easy listening notes have to, it seems, sell the artist as a romantic enchanter wielding his soothing tones to take you to a magic world of sensuality.

It is not, by any stretch, dynamic music. But I have to say, it's kind of growing on me. Not that I would listen to this music in...well, most situations. And certainly not as prescribed. I don't want to speak for the 'ladies' but this might knock them out instead of get them in the mood, so to speak. Who knows. The covers are pretty racy, from the apparently topless woman in a leotard hugging the tiger skin rug on Music To Soothe That Tiger to the nude back of the woman taking off her lingerie on ...And So To Bed, leaving not much mystery as to what is about to happen once we get there.

One CD down, one to go. So far I've only nodded off once during a full course caution in the race. (I know I nodded off because I went to sleep under yellow and woke up to them racing...of course just in time for someone else to crash...). There is no way to pair endurance sports car racing to easy listening music, it's not even surreal, it just doesn't go.

I can't listen to any version of It Was a Very Good Year without thinking about Homer Simpson. We must have hit the Frank Sinatra vein, as the very next song is Strangers In the Night.

These tracks are remarkably short, but you'd never know that listening to them.

What easy listening collection is complete without a version of Spanish Eyes. I talked before about this being the thinking behind getting a CD like this, that there was going to be this one clutch moment in theater or film or something where someone was going to go, "Man, if we only had a version of (say) Spanish Eyes..." and then, like Spiderman I would arrive just in time with my copy of Spanish Eyes. And then the lead actress would swoon. Or something like that. More likely she'd regard that along with everything else as "not her lines." I was literally dumbfounded when I first encountered an actor who counted her lines. I think I muttered something like "well, make the most of them."

As much as I chide, Bert Keampfert drives the most search traffic to this blog, at least according to my stat measures. I guess we'll see what Herb does. Though if you're doing a search for either I can't help but think this would be a disappointing result.

Well, I made it--easy listening double CD that I don't remember getting. Day 36 under the belt...

1 comment:

  1. Do you know of a place I could find Herbert Rehbein
    The Complete LP Collection I bought this a while ago when I bought a hard drive to rip my music to mp3 I noticed my CD's were crack and unplayable I am so sadden that I unable to replace these CD's this has been long out of print :o(

    ReplyDelete